How important is content creation?

You wonder, how important is content creation? This question depends on what you want to achieve. When it comes to building an audience, gaining influence and generating revenue online, then content creation is very important, essential even. But not as the one and only factor. In this post, you’ll learn about the importance of content creation and what else it takes to succeed online.


The Gateway to The Internet

Let’s, for starters, paint the right picture. Think of the Internet less as a web and more as a giant sea of content. On social media, we experience the wild surface, so to speak, fun flotsam and shitstorms. But the constant stream of new posts quickly sink down into your feed and then disappear into that sea.

Now, what do you do to find something on the Internet? You use, of course, search engines. For most people, Google is the gateway to the Internet and the first page of Google is all they see of it. And the vast majority are perfectly happy with that. They find what they’re looking for. When it comes to video content, YouTube is the No. 1 search engine (and therefore the most relevant video content platform for creators).

The crucial dilemma

This brings us to the crucial dilemma. All the (millions of) websites out there that don’t want to be swallowed up by the depths of the Internet are fighting for the attention of the search engines. And that usually means Google.

Landing on the first page of Google keeps websites visible and relevant to Internet users. But what factors does the algorithm use to sort search results? The infamous figure of 200 factors is a persistent legend.

But two factors have proven themselves time and again over the past few years. They come with catchy slogans:

CONTENT IS KING. CONTEXT IS QUEEN.

Well, what does that mean?

Google rewards relevant, valuable content, simple as that.

No cheap tricks, no hacks, but plain and simple: content that provides the best answer to certain search queries, that best satisfies certain interests, such content ends up on page 1 of Google (aka the Internet). It doesn’t matter whether it’s text or video content.

Now, how important is content creation?

To give a precise answer: In terms of time to invest compared to other content-related tasks, the importance of content creation amounts to 70 percent. That doesn’t sound too much. But if you want rank high on google, that is: if you want to be found on the Internet, nothing else can replace any of that percentage – and without it, the other 30 percent is worth nothing.

Because that’s what the right content marketing brings about. Don’t even think about it until you have a content creation plan.

Content creation includes research and writing, and depending on the medium, also the voice recording, filming and editing of material. In research, common search queries play an important role: What are people looking for? What do they want, what do they need? In writing and producing, the goal is to meet the needs as well as possible.

But that’s not enough.

The saying, “Content is king,” has held true for a very long time. On the web this has been a universal truth, through and through. But in today’s world, it’s no longer good enough simply to have content – this is where context takes over a bit.

Tony Zayas (Proforma Blog)

A successful handling of “Queen Context” turns the Internet as an all-consuming sea back into the World Wide Web it ideally is. Context here theoretically means any kind of linking and distribution. Which methods and strategies are most effective in practice is a question of content marketing.

Content marketing includes meaningful linking within one’s own website as well as posting new pieces of content in social networks according to specific schedules. Content curation, that is the updating older content pieces with regard to SEO, also falls into this area.

But as mentioned, without content creation, there’s nothing to be marketed. If you want to learn how to do content creation, start here.

Scroll to Top